Construction Management is the amalgamation of disciplines of civil engineering and management, becoming quite vibrant in the last couple of decades. If you are looking to pursue an MBA in construction management abroad, here is a definitive guide into the various details you need to look at such as eligibility, admission procedure, top colleges and much more.
What is Construction Management?
· A degree in construction management allows the student to concentrate on various tools and techniques which are required for supervising, designing, planning and constructing a project.
· This course intends to make students comprehend the need in controlling the project's cost, time, safety, sustainability, risk, human resources, resources, increasing efficiency, minimising cost and maximising quality with the optimum use of the resources.
· The course is capable of project-delivery systems containing design-bid-build, public-private partnerships etc.
· MBA in Construction Management course will train students in areas such as – core management subjects and domain-specific subjects. The program covers main topics such as – HR management, project management, finance management, contract laws, labour laws, quality control etc.
Why Pursue an MBA in Construction Management Abroad?
· It is relatively a new course which promises in leading numerous future jobs for the students as the experts have anticipated that this sector will grow only and will not become stagnant in future.
· Construction management's centre of attraction is applying principles of management to deal with issues and challenges related to the field of construction technology.
· Construction projects require highly trained professionals with the technical capacity as well as practical experience.
· They take care of features such as – project timing (deadline, construction period, handover time etc.), delivery, quality control, costing, raw material acquisition, HR management and more. The construction project consists of four major stages. They are – feasibility, design, construction and operation.
· This degree program prepares students to manage construction projects and oversee the business side of these enterprises.
· An MBA in construction management will help students to layout some advanced and appealing course curriculum which will contribute to be an eye-opener in the electrifying world of Construction and Management.
· MBA in construction management is either a year or 2-year course.
Degree Programs and Requirements
· Construction Estimating
In this course, students are trained with the necessary skills to estimate the several costs of a construction project. Students in these courses learn how to factor in variables, such as equipment, labour and material costs, into the project's total cost estimate. Such courses may also examine topics in job cost accounting systems, depreciation, computer-based estimating, project delivery implications, international work implications, and other cost analysis methods.
· Legal Aspects in Construction
A course in the legal aspects of construction helps in learning about the different kinds of contracts and specifications in the construction industry. These courses generally include a legal and business perspective while examining contract procedures, owner responsibilities and labour laws. More topics range from aspects of contracts, payment to disputes insurance, bidding, claims, substitution and the termination of contracts.
· Construction Planning and Scheduling
These courses provide students with foundational concepts in project management for the construction industry. work breakdown structure and scheduling logic are important topics. These courses also discuss strategic planning, how to analyse projects, project control, resource allocation and more.
Best Colleges for MBA in Construction Management Abroad
· Arizona State University – United States
· Wentworth Institute of Technology-Boston, United States
· Virginia Tech- Virginia, United States
· Drexel University-Philadelphia, United States
· Clemson University-South Carolina, United States
· Brigham Young University – Utah, United States
· Roger Williams University-Rhode Island, United States
· Milwaukee School of Engineering- United States
· Illinois State University- United States
MBA in Construction Management in Canada
· The flourishing economy and the cultural heterogeneity of Canada attract students from across the globe. High living standards, affordable and quality education, multicultural exposure and friendly post-study or working rules make this country a hot favourite among international students hoping to pursue an MBA in construction management in Canada
· Pursuing an MBA in Construction in Canada helps students acquire this knowledge and expertise so they may be prepared to pursue careers as leaders in the construction industry.
· Many construction management schools offering MBA in construction management in Canada design programs to be comprehensive. However, there are many options that allow candidates to narrow down a specific area such as Construction Administration, Real Estate Construction Management, Manufacturing Technology, Sustainability, and more.
· The Construction Management program at Centennial College, Canada, focuses on the study of the management and technological aspects of residential, industrial, commercial and institutional construction projects, as well as engineering and infrastructure construction.
· Construction Management courses in the above program offer opportunities of practical training so that candidates acquire a unique blend of construction and project management skills in conjunction with the added dimension of protecting the environment and sustainability.
MBA in Construction Management: Syllabus
The following table presents a rough approximation of the syllabus you can expect in a typical course of MBA in Construction management abroad.
Procurement & Tendering
Financial Risk Management
Quality, Health and Safety Management
Project Development & Pre-Construction Planning
Project Execution & Control
Probability and Statistics
Project Performance Measuring & Evaluation
Case Studies in Project Management
Human Resources Management
Business and Industry Ethics
Project Quality Management
Organisational Structure & Issues
Purchasing & Contracting
Electives/Projects/ Foreign Languages/ Internships
Electives/Project/ Foreign Language/ Internships
Electives/Projects/ Foreign Language/ Internships
Electives Offered: International Practices, Corporate Law, Integrated Transportation, Business Environment, Investment & Real Estate Finance, etc.
MBA in Construction Management Eligibility
· Interested applicants of MBA in construction management abroad are commonly required to hold a bachelor's degree. Specific admissions requirements may vary depending on the nature of the degree, university and location
· As part of MBA in construction management eligibility, candidates are typically required to complete coursework in accounting, statistics and other business courses, which can be achieved as a business undergraduate or taken in pre-MBA programs.
· Candidates have an option to pursue an MBA in Construction Management online or on-campus to prepare for leadership positions in the field. Such programs include a blend of business- and construction-related topics and can usually be completed in an year.
How to Apply for an MBA in Construction Management Abroad
Now that you well-versed with the MBA in construction management eligibility requirements, the next step is to apply for admission.
· Follow the minimum MBA in construction management eligibility requirements as mentioned in the above section and any other specific instruction in the university guidelines.
· Attach GMAT/GRE along with IELTS/TOEFL/PTE Test Scores [as required]
· Complete and submit the Application Form [Passport, Statement of Purpose, Two/Three letters of Recommendation, Transcripts Experience Letter (if required), Financial Support Statement/Funding Essay (if applying for funding), etc.]
· Pay Application Fee.
· Personal Interview/Group Discussion/Writing Task [if required]
· Within 2-3 months of successful application, its status will change to ‘confirmed’, ‘waitlisted’ or ‘rejected’.
· Deposit the required Tuition Fees & Other Fees within the deadline.
· Submit the Student Visa Application as early as possible.
· Sort out accommodation issues.
Cost of MBA in Construction Management
Given below is the cost of pursuing an MBA in construction management abroad. This varies from university to university.
Arizona State University
Florida International University
Illinois State University-
Louisiana State University And Agricultural & Mechanical College
University of Houston
University of Wisconsin
Western Carolina University
Thank you to 2 of those people who have made a valuable difference in my life- Sadi and Michael. You've made me who I am and I would never have been able to come this far without your constant guidance and support. Working with you at Edu aims was a great and absolutely enriching experience. You gave me perspective and my plans direction and your support inspired me to varied heights and continues to make me strive for nothing less than the best. Thank you so much.
Vitasta Pasari - London Business School
Perfect experience, really helpful! Would never be studying at LSE without their help.
Asahita Dhandhania - LSE
Michael and Sadi at EduAims Ballygunge have not just been amazing academic counsellors but also very good friends. It is because of their expertise and help that today i am pursuing my masters here at Singapore Management University. Their know how and ways helped me get through the admissions in a very smooth way and in a very short span of time. I dont think i could have ever made it to SMU without their help and support.
Piyush Baid - Singapore Management University
The aspect that makes Eduaims so much more special is the attention that the counselors and teachers provide at an individual level. This helped me bring out my best and their sincere guidance was instrumental in getting me a chance to study abroad.
Souvik Das Gupta - MBA, William and Mary (70% aid)
Great place to gain admission into your dream college. Very personalised approach.
Samiksha Agarwal - University of St. Gallen, Switzerland
The college applications procedure is one that will transform you. It lends a great deal of objectivity into your brain and more importantly, helps you discover yourself. EduAims provided this and a lot more. The college application process at EduAims was truly life-changing, allowing me to not only get admits at my dream colleges, but also take away knowledge and skills useful for life.
Vedant Kabra - Essec Business School
3rd Floor, 52 Ballygunge Circular Road,
Kolkata 700 019
Opp:Ballygunge Science College
# 2011, The Prism Tower, Business Bay, Dubai